Fenstanton vs Wisbech St Mary A – 19/09/15

Fenstanton vs Wisbech St Mary A - 19/09/15

Fenstanton 3-0 Wisbech St Mary A

With Fenstanton having to postpone their first 2 games of the season, this was the club’s opening match since folding the old First Team.

Fenstanton started the game in confident fashion, winning the early exchanges and were¬† on top in the first 10 minutes. (After Dale Edwards had given away a free kick a full 12 seconds in to the game…)

Wisbech St Mary got back into the game and enjoyed a lot more possession but never really looked threatening in the final third.

Salv Merola was looking particularly busy and going close with half chances and it was the quick thinking from Merola that created the 1st goal.

Merola took a quick long throw in, that caught out the Wisbech St Mary defence and allowed Ben Fuller to stab home from close range. 1-0.

The 2nd goal came soon after with Merola this time whipping in a free kick from the right wing, straight to Darren Bryant who headed  in from close range at the back post. 2-0.

Wisbech St Mary almost replied straight away. With Fenstanton over-playing at the back, the Wisbech St Mary striker stole the ball, went round goalkeeper Adam Buckingham and shot from a tight angle. Luckily defender Dave Moore got back to hook the ball off the line.

Half Time – Fenstanton 2-0 Wisbech St Mary A

The 2nd half was much the same, comfortable but laboured. With a few players looking tired, Fenstanton made the first change of the game, taking of Tom Cody and bringing on Ryan hunt, with Merola going on the wing, Fuller up top and Hunt slotting into central midfield.

This seemed to lift Fenny, with Hunt dictating play and having a big influence in the middle. They started to fashion a few more chances, with Salv Merola hitting the post and Dion Lee, Paul street and Ben Fuller all going close.

Another change in midfield saw Scott Morrison enter the fold in place of Dale Edwards who had just picked up a caution. Kieran Heaford also came on in place of Darren Bryant.

With about 15 minutes left to play, Fenstanton put the game to bed with their 3rd goal.

Scott Morrison who had impressed after coming off the bench, powered through a few challenges before getting clattered by Wisbech St Mary’s last man, but the ref had played a good advantage as the ball fell kindly to Ben Fuller, who comfortably tucked the ball into the bottom corner. 3-0.

Scott Wilkinson came on for Fuller and was full of running and constantly unsettling the Wisbech St Mary defenders for the last 15 mins.

Full Time – Fenstanton 3-0 Wisbech St Mary A

This entry was posted in News Archive. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.